RubiKon Adventures

Tales and travels of "GrizzLee", "Looksha Lori" & "Yukon Johann"


Thursday, September 15, 2022

Canada Bridge River Mototrek ADVenture Part 1

Canada Bridge River Mototrek ADVenture

Dams, powerhouses and reservoirs and an ecological missteps (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_River_Power_Project)

It has been 5 years since my last foray into Canada. One of my favorite areas is the Chilcotin pleateau and the Bridge River area. It seems that in that time, the world has become a different place. Pandemic, fires, floods, more fires, etc. have really put a damper on my hopes of going back to stir my soul and imagination that I so dearly need and desire.

I made plans to go back and reconnect with all that I love. I had big plans, but early summer brought rains in the PacNorthWet and in Canada as well. That combined with late spring snows put a damper on my early summer travels. I had a major surgery procedure at the end of June that would put me out of commission to late August.

upload_2022-9-15_9-21-14.png

This foray into the Bridge River area was just the start of a bigger trip I wanted to do. I will try and post more about that later. But first, let me start by telling you a bit about my plans and friends.

The initial plan was to ride up the East Harrison Lake Road out to Nahataltch park and then proceed to Lillooet via the “Texas Creek Road” on the West side of the Fraser.

Unfortunately, the road was washed out at Nahatlatch. So a re-route was in order. To make things worse, a fire broke out 3 days before we were to leave near Lytton BC, and the ferry was closed. SOO traveling the Texas Creek road was out of the question.
upload_2022-9-15_9-7-49.png

upload_2022-9-15_9-15-26.png

In any event.. my good friend, Bruce, aka “Dr K”, decided to travel along with me. He is an avid bike rider and stated he would join me on my trip riding his new Tenere 700. He stated that he wanted to see why I rambled on forever about moto travel in BC. I got the vibe from him, that he didn't believe that it was any better than here in the states. As he has never really done ADV type adventure travel, I told him he was in for a treat.

So things started out well. Until we got to the border. Dr K was randomly selected for a covid test. We had registered with ArriveCan and such, but that wasn’t good enough. He was told that he could do a test and use some Microsoft apps to communicate with the authorities after he tested or go to a drug store and have them witness the test. So we went to a couple of Shoppers Drug Marts only to be told that they didn’t do that. Only the ones near the border were setup to witness the covid test and send the appropriate responses to the authorities. Sigh? We spent nearly 2 hours touring Abbotsford and waiting in line to get this done. Soo much for getting up and getting an early start. The best laid plans.. sigh?!?

20220722_111901.jpg

Stay tuned for "Biking off More than We Can Chew"

No comments:

Post a Comment