RubiKon Adventures

Tales and travels of "GrizzLee", "Looksha Lori" & "Yukon Johann"


Thursday, September 15, 2022

Canada Bridge River Mototrek ADVenture Part II: Biking off More than We Can Chew

Ok, picking up where I left off.

Crossing the border from the USA at Sumas, Wa into Abbottsford was NOT fun as we wasted valuable time.

Dispite the 2 hr delay for the COVID testing near the border, Dr K and I turned our attention to altering our route a bit. We wanted to ride up the Nicomen road just past Boston Bar and pop out on Canadian HWY 1 to Spence’s Bridge and go to Blue Earth Provincial Park and out to the Marble Canyon.

However, mother nature had other plans... She threw us a curve ball. And you know what? I should have seen it coming.

upload_2022-9-15_13-11-3.png


We rode through Mission Ridge out to Harrison Mills on Hwy 7. All was good. The heat was going to be an issue. We thought we’d duck into the Bridge River valley and it would be cooler. But first we had to get there.

We motored to Boston Bar and filled up our gas and water bottles. Then headed north looking for Ansile Creek Road just before Blue Lake Resort on Hwy 1.

IMG_9509.JPG

We found Ansile Creek Rd with no problem. We rode it up to where the Nicomen road spilt. At this point we should have heeded the signage. There was a sign that stated the road was closed at Km 0. Hmm, we are at Km 0 and see no issue. So up we rode for 12 Km or so and saw no issues. We encountered a work crew putting in power poles (?). When we asked about the condition of the road ahead, they said to watch for logging trucks, but stated that they hadn’t been any further up. Just beyond the workers, ~3 Km or so, the road traverses a harrowing cliff. The mountain here is moving and we could see rocks rolling so casually from above on to the road. Dr K was ahead of me as I tried to negotiate the fist sized rocks and boulders in the road. I was going slow and that was my mistake. I took a tumble on the bike. An easy fall. But I had to dismount my luggage to lift it. Now worries. Afterwards, a couple of kilometers later, I caught up with Dr K and he stated that he had dropped his bike as well. Now, I didn’t feel bad. However, what laid before us kind of frightened me. The entire side of the mountain washed down here and left a narrow muddy ledge above the river. I was a bit nervous and normally would have turned around. Two factors had me thinking to push on. (1) Dr K had confidence that we could get across it and (2) For once, I wasn’t alone out here.

IMG_9506.JPG

This was a mistake on my part and my initial gut feel was correct. We had a pretty sphincter tightening crossing of the cliffs area. Not that it was overly technical, but the drop off to the creek far below was of concern. TO make matters worse, at one of the narrowest points, someone, laid piece of plywood down and there was dirt over it. Would it hold my heavy, overladen GS and my big frame? I was soon to find out. If I dumped the bike here, it could mean a bit of a fall down and possibly having the bike follow me. Yikes!!

IMG_9512.JPG


We both made it across with no issue. However, once we got across, I got to thinking about the road and where it went from here. In my past travels here, I recall crossing the river farther up. Would it be washed out? The late spring snows, combined with the heavy early summer snowfall and now the exorbitant heat was a recipe for slides and washouts.

Well, less than ½ mile up from the cliff crossing, I got my answer. The road was gone. Obliterated and non-existent. :baldy

IMG_9508.JPG


Damn it! We had to go back across the cliffs. DAMN, DAMN, DAMN... why didn’t I think ahead. I guess I was so caught up in the moment in crossing the cliff area, I didn’t think much beyond it.

20220722_164254.jpg

20220722_164323.jpg

Now along with the 2hr border covid testing delay, we were going to be way later in our schedule than planned. Fuuuuuuuuuuuudge! Only I didn’t say fudge. Gotta keep it kid safe on these forums :hmmmmm

Needless to say, we both re-crossed the cliffy area. The fact that I'm writing this now, means, I made it. Would I do it again. HELL NO!! :deal

Stay tuned for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment