RubiKon Adventures

Tales and travels of "GrizzLee", "Looksha Lori" & "Yukon Johann"


Friday, September 16, 2022

Canada Bridge River Mototrek ADVenture: Saying Goodbye

Saying Goodbye
We awoke the next day to a beautiful sunny morning. I mentioned to Dr K that Clinton had a biker friendly restaurant that we could go back 11 miles and have some breakfast). It took little to no convincing of Dr K to agree.

So off we went. Unfortunately, the restaurant was closed for business. Probably a victim of the pandemic. Darn. So we made our way to the Clinton Cariboo Hotel. A charming log lodge with a nice restaurant and reasonable prices.
upload_2022-9-16_9-59-31.png

upload_2022-9-16_10-0-1.png

There was a gaggle of BMW GS out in the parking lot. So I got a bit excited. This must be a good place to eat!

20220723_100328.jpg

I had a modest breakfast as did Dr K. The group sitting next to us, looked to be the BMW moto culprits. Sure enough, I heard them conversing about the BC BMW moto club and a mention of their president, Wayne (@BCBackRoads). At which point I interjected and told them I know Wayne. It didn’t take long, when a couple of gents stated that they know me through my Youtube channel. Talk quickly turned to my travels in the Yukon and the Canol Road. An area I have traveled twice now on my northern solo moto adventures. Solo up there, probably, not the safest means for me to travel, but I do enjoy the solitude.

20220723_100209.jpg

BC BMW Moto Thugs .. Great guys

After a delightful breakfast Dr K and I headed over to the Pavilion cutoff road beyond Kelly Lake. This road is a real treat. It begins with a steep climb up form Kelly Lake up to a plateau below the Marble Range at nearly 3000 feet of elevation. The area is a joy to ride and we could smell the wildflowers in full bloom along the way. Dr k was most impressed. Again, I took no photos here, only video. But rest assured it is a great ride.


We descended a steep winding (lots of switchbacks along steep drop-offs) road down to Pavilion (Ts'kw'aylaxw First Nations settlement).

We popped out into the Fraser River canyon near Fountain valley. I am personally amazed at the beauty and grandeur of this area. The coastal mountains wring all the on shore flow moisture out leaving very little for the valley below. Small cacti can be found here in this arid region. Fortunately, no poisonous snakes and bugs (Scorpions) live this far north. But that is not to say, there is no life out here. I have seen black bears and sheep in this arid valley. At one point in time, this place was covered by glaciers up to 2 miles in depth. A mile is 5280 feet. So add another 10,000 + feet of elevation above the canyon to get a true appreciation of the enormity of the glacial ice that once parked itself here. As the glaciers melted, they carved out the awesome Fraser canyons that are here today.
IMG_9516.JPG

IMG_9517.JPG

IMG_9520.JPG

We passed by Fountain Valley and headed towards Lillooet, eagerly wanting to enter the Bridge River Complex. Along the way we came to Dickey Creek falls. A source of fresh water for Lillooet as well as a neat place to ice climb in the winter. It is a very scenic view and worthy of pulling out along the side of the road to appreciate the immensity of the area.

IMG_9525.JPG

Once at Lillooet, Dr K and I connected with our home base. All was well on my ranch, however, Dr K’s wife was ill and diagnosed with covid. Being that he was exposed and even though had a negative covid test at the border. He took the prudent path and decided to head home, not wanting to be sick out here in the bush or expose me to covid. I was saddened to be alone, but I am used to it and as the day wore on, I even welcomed the solitude travel that I am so familiar with out here.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment