RubiKon Adventures

Tales and travels of "GrizzLee", "Looksha Lori" & "Yukon Johann"


Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Canada Bridge River Mototrek ADVenture: A Change of Plans cont...

A Change of Plans cont...

So I cannot show you much on the Bralorne townsite.

I crossed the Black Bird River on the Bralorne-Hurley Cutoff road and noticed a new, large mining compound has been built. There is definitely a renewed interest in precious minerals for sure. Further down I noticed a new tailings pond in the works.
upload_2022-9-20_14-4-34.png


Along the way I had a handful of water crossings as the heat was melting the late fall snow fast.

upload_2022-9-20_14-4-59.png


The picture quality is low as I took it off my video. But you get the idea.

upload_2022-9-20_14-5-18.png

I stopped several times to enjoy the beauty of this connector route.
upload_2022-9-20_14-5-49.png

The route follows along the base of Mt Noel until it spits out on the Hurley Forest Service Road proper.

upload_2022-9-20_14-6-2.png


upload_2022-9-20_14-6-27.png

I started on the Hurley Forest Service road with the intention of going to Pemberton and then over to Seton Portage via D’Arcy. I stopped in the shade to have a snack and enjoy some shade. Is was still in the 90’s F and humid. I was feeling a bit fatigued. I looked at my watch and it was 4:30. Google estimated 4+ hours to Seton Portage. It looks like sleeping in this morning finally caught up to me. I decided to turn around and go over to the Gun Creek Campground and see if I had time to explore the ghost town of Minto.

upload_2022-9-20_14-6-40.png

I arrived at the Bralorne-Hurley connector road and said to myself, “what the hell”, let’s ride this again back to Bralorne. So that’s what I did. Looking or Grizzlies.

upload_2022-9-20_14-6-55.png

I didn’t see any Grizzlies, but I did take a picture of my license plate J

upload_2022-9-20_14-7-5.png

I arrived at Gun Creek and decided that I had time to take a self-guided tour of the old Minto Town site.



upload_2022-9-20_14-10-21.png

Minto was an old mining town built in the 1930’s and is located at the confluence of Gun Creek and the Bridge River (Now Carpenter lake). The mining settlement was later used as a Japanese-Canadian internment center. It was destroy by a flood in 1949, just before it was buried under water from the Carpenter Lake reservoir. Lots and lots of artifcats can be found out here. In my short vist, I found a vehicle chassis, multiple building foundations, a 6 cylinder engine block, fire hydrant, old shoes, conduit and piping strewn across the old townsite. It is a pretty cool place to visit just for artifact finding alone. There is beauty here as well.


upload_2022-9-20_14-11-7.png

upload_2022-9-20_14-12-21.png

upload_2022-9-20_14-12-52.png

Afterwards, I went and made camp at the Gun Creek Campground. It was still hot and Gun Creek was overflowing the banks a bit with all the snow melt. It was running so high and fast, tha the campsites near the creek were roped off so that folks wouldn’t be heading to the creek (river?) and possibly get swept away. This is a real danger as for someone like me, as I had to draw water and pump it from there as I didn’t have any water with me. I found a safe place near the bridge along teh Carpenter lake Rd

upload_2022-9-20_14-13-32.png

After I set up my tent and cooled off with a nice cool toweling from the icy river water, I made my dinner. Actually, I boiled water and had some icy lemonade with my dehydrated mountain house meal. I spent the evening walking around the campground and reading my book. I then drifted off to sleep, never putting my rain fly on my tent and using my sleeping bag as a light blanket. It stayed very warm all through the night.

upload_2022-9-20_14-9-49.png


Next up, my last day and the ride home...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment