RubiKon Adventures

Tales and travels of "GrizzLee", "Looksha Lori" & "Yukon Johann"

Monday, August 6, 2012

Meetup w/The-O-Fam, Unusual Heat & Mountain Twisties

“Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad” - Proverb

Sometimes things happen in life that are simply amazing. While in the Yukon in July, we met several folks doing their dream trip to the north. Two such folks are a father/son on a dream adventure motorcycle trip to Alaska.

In our brief and chance meeting I mentioned that they should stop for a visit on their way through Seattle as they worked their way home. They really had no time to visit as they had reservations in Astoria (Oregon), but did want a tour guide from the time they departed the Alaskan ferry at Bellingham as they worked thier way down the coast. It just so happened that they came on a weekend where I was FREE. So yes, I was more than happy to oblige. After getting to know DonnyO and Sean, I can tell you that they are a fantastic father/son duo, aka as theofam on ADVRider forums.
Read about their fantastic trip here:

Father son (Sean and DonnyO) at Kalaloch Beach.
DonnyO enjoying the sunset in Astoria just before dinner and a brew at the Rogue Brewery
The Astoria-Megler Bridge amazing in sunset.
More sunset....

DonnyO with a smile.
Finally, a full panoramic
We stayed at Camp O-Rilea south of Astoria (A military training camp of sorts) and the next morning we had to have a cinnamon roll.
If you read their ride report, you find that cinnamon rolls are a big part or their adventure trip.
After breakfast and a brake pad fix on DonnyO's bike we partted ways on Oregons Hwy 26. I soon found myself acorss teh the Columbia River at the Bridge of the Gods, heading north form Carson on Windy Ridge Road. The road is one of THE BEST motorcyel roads in Washington state. Lots of twisties, and views of Mt St Helens.
Gretchen enjoying the view.
Yep, this is awesome
Once up at Elk Pass the wild flowers became abundant. It was extremely hot and humid (90+ degrees) and I was gettign pretty exhausted from the heat with all the riding gear on.

I took a short nap and Greatchen enjoyed the flowers.

After a nap, we found this meadow filled with yellow wild flowers.
This picture is now my new desktop.

The twisties went on forever.

In any event, as I dropped down into the valley toward Randle and then on to Packwood, my thermometer read nearly 100 degrees!! This is highly unusual for this area. I was parched and dry when I arrived in Packwood. I hydrated, took off my riding gear and rested under a shade tree for the better part of an hour. I was awakened by grazing elk next to the gas station/mini mart where I was resting. What really woke me was the crowd of people and their excitement. I was too tired to get up and retrieve my camera. In hindsight, I wish I had, the Elk stood in the middle of the road for quite some time and traffic was backing up.

After resting up, a snack and some gatorade, it was back in the saddle and through the passes behind Mt Rainier. I arrived home after nearly 750 miles of riding in 2 days around 9:00 pm. My arse told me it was more like 1000.

A great time.. save for the extreme humid heat.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment