RubiKon Adventures

Tales and travels of "GrizzLee", "Looksha Lori" & "Yukon Johann"


Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Canada Bridge River Mototrek ADVenture: Heading Home

Heading Home

Having a hard time getting to sleep in the early hours of the evening due to the heat. However, I did manage to doze off into the night and dream. My alarm went off promptly at 5:30 am. I was a bit startled and briefly thought about rolling over and closing my eyes. But I had a long day ahead of me. Sooo I got up and packed my gear (tent, sleeping bag, pad, etc...)

20220724_204516.jpg

I made some breakfast and headed out towards Lillooet. Awe, life was good this morning. The temperatures were in the 60’s F range and it felt good to ride in cool air. I was really digging the views down Carpenter lake in the Early morning sun.

20220725_080455.jpg

At one point, I came around a turn and almost hit a doe deer and her babies. They were licking the road (calcite I assume). No pictures or video as they hurried up the mountainside to get out of harms way. Further on down the road I came across some sheep doing the same thing. Again, I didn’t have time to get my camera on ad running before they scurried up the mountainside into the trees.

Not long after that I came upon Marshall Falls. I made a quick stop here to admire them.


upload_2022-9-21_8-14-1.png


upload_2022-9-21_8-13-50.png

As I traveled down the lake towards Terzaghi Dam, it was hard to resist stopping and enjoying the immense eye candy. I had to keep my eye on the road. But I did a few more stops and looked out on the other side of the lake examining old logging cuts and contemplating if there are any accessible roads on that side of the lake to explore. Of course that would have to wait for another time... but still it’s nice to dream.

upload_2022-9-21_8-14-28.png

20220725_083004.jpg





20220725_083019.jpg

I was seriously thinking about heading up over Mission Mountain and over to Seton Portage and through Anderson Lake. I was severely tempted.

As I approached Terzaghi Dam, I made the turn to head up to Porcupine Bluffs. It meant riding through the tunnel and climbing up the side of Mission Mountain to a nice pullout.

upload_2022-9-21_8-15-35.png

20220725_091330.jpg


Porcupine Bluffs is known to me, in my heart as Stairway to Heaven. The views from there are stupendous to say the least. It’s a place of peace and quiet and reflection. Although the Bridge River complex is an example of poor ecological planning and execution, it didn’t detract at all from the emotions I feel every time I arrive here. Looking at the pics, I think you’ll agree with me.

I decided to shoot some aerial video here to take home with me as personal memory and I included it in some of my video.
20220725_091350.jpg
About those thoughts on going over to Seton Portage and Anderson Lake via the Highline road. I checked my maps, additional mileage and time it would incur. I decided that if I was to arrive home at a decent hour in my home state of Washington, I would have to forgo that leg. Bummer! As I am still a working man, I wanted to be home in time for a nice dinner with my wife and a hot bath with a good nights sleep to be ready for work the next day.

20220725_091401.jpg

Soo I took off and retraced my route back to Lillooet from 2 days before. It is a great ride as well, but I had already seen this. It is worth seeing again of course, but missing out on the Highline road was a tough pill to swallow. Too much too see and too little time. I look forward to my retirement when time will not be an issue and my only worries will be fuel range.

So with that in mind, I retraced my steps and made my way to Lillooet, past Horseshoe Bend and the cliffy roads with the Bridge River flowing far below me in the canyon.

I took highway 12 back to Lytton and noted the fires on the west side of the Fraser River still burning out of control. Helicopters were buzzing around the mountain like mosquitoes. Sadly, when I arrived in Lytton, the entire town was being razed. The entire hamlet had been a victim of fires last year. Poor folks. It appears that the re-building process is happening. I’ll probably be back next year to witness the progress.

I had a non eventful trip down Hwy 1 to Hope. I then made my way to Abbotsford and crossed the Sumas border in Washington State. I was only an hour and a half from home now. I called my wife and she stated that she would have dinner ready, a warm bath waiting and that the gate and the barn door would be open when I arrived home. I love her so much. She has always been extremely supportive of my adventures. She can no longer ride with me on such trips due to her health. I always call her when I can and tell her she is in my heart and in pocket looking out upon the world as I see it when I ride. She excitedly looks forward to my pictures, videos and more importantly the descriptive stories I share on my adventures. Ever man should be so lucky.

Thanks for riding along with me.

~GrizzLee

No comments:

Post a Comment