RubiKon Adventures

Tales and travels of "GrizzLee", "Looksha Lori" & "Yukon Johann"


Thursday, June 20, 2019

GrizzLee Stories From the North: Heading to Tok



The next day we took out time leaving. The weather was again, stupendous. We made a stop at Blueberry pass for some scrumptious view back down the glacial valley that leads down to Valdez.

View from Blueberry Pass
Once we motored our way out of the coastal mountains, the weather was sunny and it got really warm. This was a welcome change in the weather from what I had experienced for nearly the entire trip.

Mt Drum, One of the Giants of the Wrangle Mountains
Our objective for the day was Tok Alaska. But first we were treated to the beauty of the Wrangle/St Elias Mountains. Stunningly beautiful. We arrived at Glennallen and took the TOk Highway over to, where else, Tok, Alaska. Yun and I parted ways and agreed to meet in Tok at the Eagle Claw Campground. This was a loose agenda as I told him I may do a side trip.

Mt Zanetti (left) & Mt Wrangle (the long slope on the right)
I must say that the road conditions were not ideal. I encountered horrendous frost heaves and had to slow down to avoid losing control of the bike. A Subaru apparently didn’t like my reduced pace and decided to pass in a huff, a few miles later they were on the side of the road with broken front plastics that must have broken when they came off one of the whoops. I gave a friendly wave and continued on my journey.




This highway offered some great views into the Wrangle St Elias park. Mt Sanford, a mega peak for sure, 16,237 feet in elevation, it rises over 12,000 feet from the base to the summit making a truly spectacular view from my vantage.   

Mt Sanford from the Tok Highway

I was wanting to scout out the Nasbesna Road. I stopped in at the Slana Ranger Station to check on road conditions. I was told that I could only make it another 25 miles or so before I came across really wet road conditions (swelling creeks). Because of all the rain and now the warm conditions, the road had creeks that swelled and it was recommended that I not take my big bike out there as they can be uncross able. Awe, bad timing for me. It was OK though as I was starting to not feel well. The long days on the bike, I believe were beginning to take a toll on me.

Outside of Tok, near Menasta Lakes, I saw a cow moose grazing on the side of the road. She seemed to be oblivious to my presence and I got some great pictures and video.

Nellie the moose

Moose and biek were at peace
I arrived in Tok and proceeded to the Thompson’s Eagle Claw Campground where met up with Yun and several foreign visitors. Eagle Claw is an awesome campground and not a place to be missed, especially if you are traveling by motorcycle. It is run by Brain and Vanessa, both of which are riders themselves.

They are off grid, but they offer primitive hot steam baths, cook shelters and some unique camping accommodations found nowhere else. Aside from the standard tent sites, they offer tents with cots, teepees, an old ambulance that sleeps two, a bus and a parachute setup as a rain umbrella. In addition, they have a large shed with motorcycle tools to do repairs and such.  They are always happy to help. I can’t think of a more pleasant campground in all my travels north.  IF you ever travel north, please check them out. You won’t be disappointed.  http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com/index.html


Now, back to the visitors, aside from Yun, there was his friend, a Frenchman, a couple from Austria and another gent from the Czech Republic. And boy could they drink. We had a wild night in front of a large  campfire and everyone had a great time. I slept very well that night.


Wild night at THompson's Eagle Claw

These guys could drink
The next day, I headed toward Whitehorse. It seems that I caught a bug and I was slowly falling into a flu like state that would haunt me for the rest of my ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment